Spivak Law Firm | Pittsburgh, PA

Based in Pittsburgh, PA


Spivak Law Firm is BBB Accredited

Allegheny County Family Lawyer

Child Custody: Recording Kids

Desperate parents may resort to filming or recording their children in an attempt to gain leverage in child-custody battles.

However, these tactics can backfire, leaving children distressed and causing judges to question the parents’ judgment and ability to act in their children’s best interests. Many parents fail to realize how harmful this recording behavior can be or how negatively it can impact their case.

Spivak Law Firm offers strong, compassionate representation in child-custody matters while aiming to protect children in the process. To schedule an appointment with an experienced family-law attorney, call us at (412)-344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

PFAs and Gun Rights

In Pennsylvania, Protection From Abuse (PFA) defendants are frequently ordered to relinquish their firearms. If the defendant has to surrender the guns, they can be held for safekeeping by a third party like a family member or friend who passes a criminal background check by police.

Spivak Law Firm advocates for PFA defendants to protect their Second Amendment right to gun possession and ownership. We have effectively represented many people whose careers were at risk due to a PFA, including: police officers, homeland security officers, nurses, teachers, firearms dealers, and military personnel.

If you’ve been served with a PFA order, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Child Custody and Substance Abuse

Pennsylvania courts decide child custody cases in the best interest of the children based upon sixteen relevant factors. One of the factors judges consider is any history of drug or substance abuse by the parties.

If you have a drug or substance abuse problem, it does not automatically mean that your ex will get sole custody of your children. But it does mean you will likely face substantial hurdles to obtain your desired custody schedule.

The court may temporarily restrict you from your children, order supervised visitation, and order you to undergo drug and alcohol treatment. Judges often reward parents who take successful steps to better themselves in the interests of their children.

Spivak Law Firm routinely helps parents with substance abuse and mental health issues achieve their custody goals. To schedule a consultation, call us today at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Child Support in Pennsylvania

Q: How long do child support payments continue?

A: Child support payments continue until a child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later. Child support may be owed for an even longer period of time for a disabled child.

In Pennsylvania, judges apply the Child Support Guidelines to determine the amount of support payable for each child. This decision is made based on several factors, including number of children and monthly after-tax incomes of the child’s parents.

Spivak Law Firm offers strong, compassionate representation in all family law matters, including child support. We help families determine the amount of child support owed and represent clients in child support enforcement actions.

To speak with an experienced family-law attorney, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

PFA: Dating Partners

If signed into law, House Bill 223 would provide dating partners in Louisiana the same protections in domestic-abuse cases as spouses are afforded.

Under current law, dating partners involved in domestic abuse cases may only be charged with simple battery, not domestic abuse battery, which carries more severe penalties.

It’s vital for dating partners to receive the same protections from battery as other abuse victims. Abusive behavior left unchecked tends to escalate, and domestic-violence laws include enhanced penalties to deter such behavior.

The danger is just as real in a dating relationship as in marriage. In fact, roughly 60% of the people killed in domestic homicides in Louisiana in 2016 were not married to their alleged killers.

Spivak Law Firm provides aggressive representation for plaintiffs and defendants in domestic violence cases, including Protection From Abuse (PFA), Children Youth and Families (CYF), and criminal domestic violence. To schedule a free consultation, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Child Custody: Relocation

When parents of minor children separate or divorce, their ability to relocate to a new residence may be restricted.

Parents must either get the other parent’s approval or obtain permission from the court in order to relocate.

The judge considers many factors when making the decision on whether to grant the relocation request, including the child’s preference, the age of the child, and the reason for moving. Ultimately, the parent who wants to move must convince the judge that moving will be in the child’s best interest.

Spivak Law Firm provides strong, compassionate representation in child custody cases. We handle all child-custody matters, including trials, drafting agreements, and relocation hearings. Call us at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Telling Your Children About Your Divorce

78287715Divorce can be emotionally devastating for parents and children alike. Here are some tips from family counselors on telling your kids about your divorce:

  • Talk to the children together
  • Give your children time to react and time to be mad and sad, and to ask questions
  • Try to anticipate your children’s questions and reactions, and be prepared to respond
  • Encourage your children to talk about their feelings

The reasons behind your divorce are likely not relevant to your children and generally should not be shared, the experts say. What children need is: to feel loved; to realize the divorce is not their fault; a sense of security; routine and structure; and not to be put in the middle.

To speak with an experienced Pittsburgh family law attorney, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.