Spivak Law Firm | Pittsburgh, PA

Based in Pittsburgh, PA


Spivak Law Firm is BBB Accredited

Daily Archives: June 21, 2021

Divorce for the Higher Earning Spouse

The higher-earning spouse may be required to pay spousal support or alimony as part of a divorce.

Spousal support refers to money paid to the lower-earning spouse until the divorce is finalized. Alimony refers to money paid to the lower-earning spouse after the decree in divorce has been issued.

Additionally, the higher-earning spouse may be entitled to a smaller portion of the marital estate.

Under Pennsylvania law, the formal process for dividing a marital estate is known as equitable distribution. If the parties cannot agree about how to divide the marital estate, the court will issue an order based on principles of fairness.

In such cases, the court may not believe that a 50/50 division of marital assets is fair. Rather, the higher hearing spouse may receive as little as 40 or 45 percent of the estate.

To learn more about how to divide assets and debts as part of your divorce, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.