Spivak Law Firm | Pittsburgh, PA

Based in Pittsburgh, PA


Spivak Law Firm is BBB Accredited

Pittsburgh Child Custody Lawyers

Spivak Law Firm Offers Many Clients Flat Fees

Flat fees are one-time charges for legal services. Unlike retainers, flat fees provide clients certainty for how much their total legal fees will cost.

Flat fees are generally offered if a client seeks legal representation at a court hearing or for drafting legal documents. Flat fees may even include filing fees and travel costs related to the case.

At Spivak Law Firm, many of our clients appreciate that we offer flat fees so they know upfront how much they will need to pay for our representation.

We offer flat fees for many types of cases, including:

To speak with an experienced family law and criminal defense attorney, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

How Much Will My Divorce Cost?

A divorce can occur quickly over a period of just a few months, or it can be dragged out over many years.

The cost of a divorce depends on the complexities of the issues and the willingness of the parties to reach an agreement.

Divorce cases may include several issues, including:

-Division of assets and debts

-Transfer of property ownership by deeds or titles

-Calculating spousal support and child support

-Determining a child custody schedule

-Obtaining a divorce decree

If there is agreement on all of the issues, then an attorney will simply draft the necessary documents and process them with the Court.

If parties cannot reach agreement, then there may be need for settlement discussions, negotiations, and possible litigation.

Divorce cases tend to cost more when they are more fully litigated in Court.

Spivak Law Firm handles all family law matters, including: divorce, equitable distribution, spousal support, alimony, child support, child custody and Protection From Abuse (PFA).

To schedule a consultation with an experienced divorce attorney, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Helping Teenagers Through Divorce

The decision to divorce can be difficult especially if you have children.

Child psychologists recommend the following techniques for communicating with teenagers:

Listen: Let your teenage children vent about their problems, as the best relief often comes from simply articulating their worries and concerns.

Empathize: Offer comforting words to teenagers rather than advice so they know you’re there for them.

Support: Reassure your teenage children to establish confidence that they can overcome their problems.

Brainstorm: Discuss solutions to help your teenagers to come to terms with things outside their control.

Spivak Law Firm handles all areas of family law, including: divorce, child custody, child support, and Protection From Abuse (PFA). For more information, call us today at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Divorce: Who Gets the House?

If both spouses want to remain in the marital residence after the divorce, then who will ultimately get the house?

This issue will be resolved as part of the divorce process.

Negotiations will occur to possibly induce one spouse into buying out the other spouse’s equity share of the residence.

The formula for calculating equity is simple: subtract the mortgage balance from the fair market value of the residence, then deduct an additional seven percent to account for realtor fees. The remaining amount constitutes the home’s equity.

If, after negotiations, the parties still cannot reach agreement about who gets the house, the court will decide. One possibility is that the court will force a sale of the residence and divide the proceeds between the spouses.

To speak with an experienced divorce attorney, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Divorce: Fleeing an Abusive Spouse

There are many forms of spousal abuse: mental, emotional, physical, and sexual.

If you are the victim of spousal abuse, there are actions you can take to protect yourself.

You may file a criminal complaint with your local police department and seek to press charges if you are the victims of physical or sexual abuse. Domestic abuse charges commonly include: assault, harassment, stalking, reckless endangerment, and terroristic threats.

You may also consider filing for a Protection From Abuse (PFA) order to prohibit all contact and even have the abuser evicted from the marital residence. A PFA may be obtained on grounds of physical violence, sexual violence, harassment, or stalking.

If you are suffering mental or emotional abuse, you may request a hearing for exclusive possession of the marital residence, which would enable you to stay in your home during the divorce process and prohibit your abuser from the premises.

If you need immediate shelter from an abusive partner, there are many resources available to assist you.

Spivak Law Firm provides strong, compassionate, cost-effective representation in all family law and criminal defense matters with a special focus on child custody and domestic abuse. Call us today at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Living With Your Spouse During the Divorce

There is nothing unusual about spouses who decide to divorce but continue living together due to financial hardship.

They may sleep in different rooms and try to occupy separate parts of the residence to minimize conflict.

But such situations can be understandably tense and problematic.

If living together proves too difficult, one spouse may ask the court to award him or her exclusive possession of the residence.

Be careful not to engage in any abusive behavior that could lead to the filing of a Protection From Abuse (PFA) order, which may evict you from the home for up to three years and provide the other spouse leverage for getting the property as part of the divorce.

To schedule a consultation, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Divorce: Changing Your Name

It is common for people going through a divorce to resume their prior or maiden name.

In Allegheny County, the process for resuming your prior name is simple so long as it is part of a divorce action.

People are often happy to learn that they do not have to wait until the divorce is finalized to begin the process. So long as a divorce complaint has been filed, you may petition the court to resume your prior name.

After receiving authorization from the court, you will then need to inform different governmental agencies in order to update your contact information.

Spivak Law Firm handles all areas of family law, including: divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support, alimony, name changes, estate planning, and Protection From Abuse (PFA).

To learn more, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Divorce with Compassion

Divorce may be one of the most stressful and emotionally painful events in your life.

The last thing you want is an attorney who talks down to you or does not return your calls.

At Spivak Law Firm, we provide compassionate representation in all family law matters, including:

We take the time to explain complex legal issues to our clients so they fully understand their options and rights under the law.

We pride ourselves on being available to our clients, who may find themselves in emergency situations that require immediate access to their attorney.

To schedule a consultation, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Alimony as Secondary Remedy

Alimony is considered a secondary remedy under Pennsylvania law.

If there are liquid assets in the marital estate, judges in Allegheny County prefer to award the lower earning spouse a higher percentage of the martial estate.

Divorce cases often do not include any alimony award, or there may be alimony for a short-term basis only.

Courts generally will not award unless the marriage exceeded 15 years and there is a significant disparity in income levels between the wife and husband.

To learn more about spousal support and alimony, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Divorce for the Higher Earning Spouse

The higher-earning spouse may be required to pay spousal support or alimony as part of a divorce.

Spousal support refers to money paid to the lower-earning spouse until the divorce is finalized. Alimony refers to money paid to the lower-earning spouse after the decree in divorce has been issued.

Additionally, the higher-earning spouse may be entitled to a smaller portion of the marital estate.

Under Pennsylvania law, the formal process for dividing a marital estate is known as equitable distribution. If the parties cannot agree about how to divide the marital estate, the court will issue an order based on principles of fairness.

In such cases, the court may not believe that a 50/50 division of marital assets is fair. Rather, the higher hearing spouse may receive as little as 40 or 45 percent of the estate.

To learn more about how to divide assets and debts as part of your divorce, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.