Pittsburgh Child Custody Attorney
Divorce can be a difficult experience for many children.
By focusing on your child’s best interest, you can ensure that they are cared for just as well as if you and your spouse were still together.
Here are three tips for maintaining your child’s best interest during divorce:
- Encourage your child not to take sides. Don’t blame your spouse for the divorce in front of your child. Instead, remain respectful about and to your former spouse in front of your child.
- Avoid leaning on your child for emotional support. If you need help dealing with the emotional burden of divorce, turn to a counselor or therapist. Your child will have a difficult enough time dealing with his or her own emotions without feeling responsible for yours.
- Hire an experienced family lawyer. Navigating the divorce process can be overwhelming and stressful. A knowledgeable family attorney understands how choices made in the legal process can affect life afterwards.
Spivak Law Firm handles all areas of family law, including: divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support and PFA hearings. To speak with an experienced family law attorney, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.
Your child’s refusal to follow a custody order places you in a difficult position. Violation of a court order can subject you to contempt proceedings, which can carry harsh penalties such as fines, license suspensions, and even jail time.
Since it may be difficult to force your child to visit with the other parent, try following these four tips to avoid being held in contempt:
- Ensure your child is dressed, packed and ready to go;
- Encourage your child to go with the other parent;
- Record your attempts to follow the custody order;
- Consider enrolling your child in counseling to discuss underlying issues.
To speak with an experienced child custody attorney, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.