Spivak Law Firm | Pittsburgh, PA

Based in Pittsburgh, PA


Spivak Law Firm is BBB Accredited

Dormont Support Lawyer

Child Support: Earning Capacity

Q: Do I still have to pay child support if I’m unemployed?

A: Maybe. If a parent has no income, but is capable of working, the court can order child support based on that parent’s earning capacity. In this situation, the court may estimate what the unemployed parent could earn given his or her education, skills and prior employment history.

Other factors involve the child-custody arrangement and each parent’s expenses relative to their income levels.

Spivak Law Firm handles all family law matters, including: divorce, child custody, child support, Protection From Abuse (PFA), and Children Youth and Families (CYF). To schedule a consultation with an experienced family law attorney, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

How to Prepare for Your Support Hearing

200359488-001Prior to the support hearing, provide your family law attorney with paystubs, tax returns, W-2s, 1099 forms, bank statements, and other documentary evidence of your income. Be prepared to describe in detail your occupation or business, earnings, and job perks as well as your spouse’s business, earnings, and job perks. Do not overlook other sources of income such as investments, trusts, parental gifts, gratuities, and “under the table” income. In addition to understanding your financial status, your attorney will work with you to assess your realistic needs, goals, requirements, earning and earning capacities.

To speak with an Allegheny County family law attorney, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.