DUI penalties include Alcohol Highway Safety School classes designed to educate participants on the consequences of driving while intoxicated – including the safety, legal, physical, and economic costs of that decision. The goals for the participants of these mandatory classes include:
- Understanding the relationship between substance use and highway safety
- Recognizing that driving, after using substances, is dangerous behavior
- Recognizing the broader implications of a DUI arrest in relation to family, job and friends
- Identifying realistic strategies to avoid future DUI behavior
- Learning how and where to obtain help for substance abuse problems
In one exercise, participants complete a worksheet assessing the total cost (not only fines and program fees, but also medical, court, time and other related costs) of their DUI. Estimates ranged from the low five-figures to the mid six-figures, the latter involving hospital costs from injuries sustained during a DUI-related incident.
To schedule an appointment with a Pittsburgh DUI attorney, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.