If your child exhibits temper tantrums, you may believe that they are not capable of feeling complex emotions. But children are more perceptive than you may realize. They are able to pick up on your emotions and the things that you say, so it is imperative to filter what is said to them and in front of them.
To avoid upsetting your children, here are five things you should not do during a divorce or custody dispute:
- Do not directly or indirectly encourage your children to choose between you and your ex-spouse;
- Do not speak ill of your ex-spouse in front of the children;
- Do not prevent your children from spending time with your ex-spouse;
- Do not ask your children to pass messages to your ex-spouse;
- Do not disclose details of your legal matters to the children.
Spivak Law Firm handles all family law matters, including: divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support, and PFAs. To schedule a consultation, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.