If you are stopped for driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol, illegal drugs, or controlled substances, protect your legal rights by following these five tips:
- Treat the Officer with Courtesy and Respect: Behaving badly when you’ve been stopped can only make your case worse.
- Answer Questions Directly Without Volunteering Additional Information: Do not hurt your case by giving information to the officer that could later be used against you.
- Politely Decline Any Field Sobriety Tests: Field sobriety tests are not mandatory in Pennsylvania.
- Allow the Police to Administer Breathalyzer or Blood Test: If you decline to take one of these tests, your driver’s license may be suspended automatically for one year, even if you are not criminally convicted.
- Call a DUI Lawyer: Having an experienced lawyer on your side can help your case.
Spivak Law Firm strongly defends people arrested for DUI. If you face DUI charges, call us at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.