Spivak Law Firm | Pittsburgh, PA

Based in Pittsburgh, PA


Spivak Law Firm is BBB Accredited

Daily Archives: October 23, 2017

PFA Orders in Pennsylvania

Q: What can a Protection From Abuse (PFA) order do?

A: In Pennsylvania, a Protection From Abuse Order can provide many protections, including:

  • Making the abuser leave the home.
  • Ordering the abuser to pay child support.
  • Prohibiting the abuser from contacting the victim.
  • Forcing the abuser to relinquish any firearms.

A PFA, also known as a restraining order, is a powerful tool to curb domestic violence.

Spivak Law Firm handles all areas of family law with a special focus on domestic violence and Protection From Abuse (PFA). Call us at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Helping Kids In Divorce

Divorce is a complicated process for everyone involved, especially for the children of co-parents. For children, picking up the signals and nuances of emotional relationships is no easy task. For example, children of divorced parents may mistake civility for a possibility of a reunion.

Here are three tips for protecting your children as you navigate the divorce process:

  • Remind your children how important they are in your separate lives.
  • Don’t project your own feelings about your ex onto your children.
  • Explain to your children why a reunion with their other parent may not be possible.

Spivak Law Firm provides experienced counsel to help you navigate the divorce process in a way that protects your children. To schedule a consultation, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.

Child Custody and Child Support

When an ex falls behind on child support, some parents use it as an opportunity to refuse visitation. But, parents who refuse visitation when their ex owes child support may be held in contempt of court for violating the terms of the custody agreement.

It is important to understand that child support is not a fee that one parent pays to get access to the child. Rather, it is intended to prevent the child from being deprived of one parent’s income if that parent isn’t living with the child.

If you want to change the child-custody schedule, we recommend consulting an experienced family-law attorney.

At Spivak Law Firm, we aim to minimize the emotional and financial costs of child-custody litigation. To discuss the custody arrangement that best fits your family’s needs, call Spivak Law Firm at (412) 344-4900 or toll free at (800) 545-9390.